Greengate Ranch Remodel
Remodeling a Daylight Ranch in Oregon

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Fighting SAD for better DYI

Actually, I don't really have SAD (Seasonal affective disorder) - but, I sometimes find it hard to put out very much effort on dark winter evenings. With this in mind, I realized the garage lighting was terrible and needed to be improved.

Right after we moved in, I installed three 48" economy fluorescent fixtures, which did increase the amount of light. Unfortunately, the light is harsh, and over four years time all three fixtures failed.


I have decided I don't like 4' fluorescent tubes either. They are hard to store and dispose of, the light is harsh, and they buzz. On the other hand, I really like CFL's - which now give off soft light, have become inexpensive, and are much easier to recycle. 90% of our house is now on CFL's.

To make the garage a place I would want to go work in, I extended the circuit from three lights to ten. With 14W (60W equivalent) bulbs, the garage is now lit up bright as day. I like the 14W ones, since the have dropped to just over a dollar each at Home Depot, and with 10 of them, there are now no shadows.


A quick rundown of the cost per fixture:
- Oldwork electrical box: $2
- Plastic fixture: $1.30
- Bulb: $1.20
- Wiring, etc: $1
- Total: $5.50


My next activity is to get the garage clean-up and organized.

No comments:

See my article library on eHow...