Here is my list - these are the terms I have decided to use (sorry if they are not exactly correct to some academic standard). I am not trying to be an architect - I am a high tech engineer - just someone designing my own family's living environment.
- Circulation space - the areas where most movement occurs
- Functional space - locations that have a purpose and are not just travelled through
- Transitional space - places between one area and another
- Public space - where everyone can go
- Private space - where only a few go
- Personal space (or retreat space) - where just one person goes
- Symmetry - things set up to be balanced
- Focal point - the "center piece" of an area
- Balance - things set up to match each other or have a common theme
- Light - how your natural and electric lighting is set up
- Long view - being able see a long distance in the house, also to the outside
- Overlooking view - being able to look down on an area
Layout - How you put all of the above together...
This is a rough concept drawing for setting up an area:
All of this allows me to think critically about the remodeling choices we make.